Saturday, July 11, 2009

Love is Kind, Day 2

Challenge: In addition to saying nothing negative to your spouse again today, do at least one unexpected gesture as an act of kindness.

Journal: What discoveries about love did you make today? What specifically did you do in this are? How did you show kindness?

Okay, in my effort to accomplish Day 2, I was thinking about discoveries about love that I made today and I realized how we really need to make an effort to show acts of kindness to our spouse. I mean, if you think about it, we seem to really go out of our way to do this for others, even complete strangers...we will hold the door for someone entering a store, drop everything to reach out to others in our lives and communities, take on too much for others, but when it comes to our husbands and children we tend to give them the "leftovers". I feel like I try hard NOT to do this, but today I realized I am guilty of this as well. I get busy with anything and everything in my day to day life, I tend to be very tired or stressed or just too lazy to make an effort to give my family what I am more than willing to give to others, even complete strangers. Makes lots of sense, doesn't it? Why in the world do we do this?

I wanted to do something out of the ordinary today as my "unexpected gesture of kindness", but it didn't happen quite like I was hoping. Saying nothing negative to my hubby today was extremely easy, but I didn't see Mike for most of the day today. :) As an unexpected gesture of kindness, since Mike worked on a friend's garage all day, we went out for dinner as a family. It was a nice evening. I also left a note on the bathroom mirror,
"Mike, I appreciate all you do! Love, Trisha"
I know that doesn't seem like much, but as much as I do appreciate Mike I really don't tell him near enough.

I feel like today, as far as the Love Dare stuff goes, was a success. Day 2 down, life to go. :)

0 comments: